Theatrical licenses include the printed materials, performance accompaniments, and public performances rights needed to put on a show.
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Performers: 5+ performers
- Show Kit includes:
- 30 Librettos (Actor’s Scripts)
- 30 Vocal Scores (with piano chords)
- Rehearsal and Performance Accompaniments
- Director’s Guide
- Theatrical license: Covers public performances for 1 year. Learn more.
Bea the Bee circles the Lake of Lakes, the Home of a Hundred Species. She calls one animal from every species to the Grand Assembly, where all official Lake business is decided by democratic vote. But this year, something’s different. Bruce the Goose wants to replace the Grand Assembly with his own unchallenged authority. After a vigorous debate, Scout the Trout casts the deciding vote and elects Bruce, plunging the Lake into a fascist dictatorship.
One year later, the Lake is a sad dystopia. Everyone’s been drafted into Bruce’s army. As they prepare to invade the Next Lake Over, it becomes clear to everyone that Bruce has lost his mind – that his vanity and pride keep him from serving the public interest. Bruce’s lust for war medals weighs him down so much he sinks to the bottom of the Lake. Everyone realizes Bruce is gone and decides to bring back the Grand Assembly. They hold another Election Day, restoring the Lake to a democracy.
Cast of Characters
- BRUCE THE GOOSE – Mezzo-soprano. A charismatic, ambitious diva who only cares about himself.
- PUCK THE DUCK – Soprano. A wise, prudent, humble steward who cares about everyone. She wears a flat cap.
- BEA THE BEE – Mezzo-soprano. An anxious, hard-working, always-busy journalist with integrity. She wears a press hat and carries a reporter’s journal and pencil.
- EARL THE SQUIRREL – Soprano. A nervous, frightened, paranoid father who believes anything he’s told. He wears a knit cap.
- SCOUT THE TROUT – Mezzo-soprano. An upright, decent veteran who has to struggle just to survive. She wears a dixie cup hat.
- CHORUS (optional) – A variety of animals from the Lake, each of a different species (such as WORM, MOSQUITO, TROUT, BUTTERFLY), and each with a different job at the Lake (such as doctor, carpenter, chef, astronaut).
TIME: Present day
PLACE: Sloan’s Lake, Denver
Synopsis of Scenes
- Act I
- Scene 1 – Election Day
- Scene 2 – The Debate
- Scene 3 – Only Me
- Act II
- Scene 1 – No Elections Today
- Scene 2 – Bruce Is Great
- Scene 3 – Long Live The King
- Scene 4 – Election Day (Reprise)